Latest News

82 posts

Police Appeal – Theft and Slaughter of Sheep

Police Appeal

A number of sheep have been illegally slaughtered across Northamptonshire and Leicestershire in the past two weeks and Northamptonshire Police, in partnership with Trading Standards, are warning food outlets and the public about the possibility of being offered this meat for sale.

Have you been offered cheap meat in suspicious circumstances?

We need you to tell us if you think something is wrong or suspicious.

• Be aware of the dangers of customers eating meat from an unknown source as it may not have gone through normal hygiene and anti-contamination processes which are followed by slaughterhouses.

• This meat also may not have undergone meat hygiene inspections to pick up on undetected illnesses in the animals

• If you are buying cheap meat, it may not be safe, nor meet animal welfare or food standards

• If in doubt, DO NOT buy or eat it and please report your concerns

If you have any information about suspicious activity please call Northamptonshire Police on 101, quoting Operation Stock.

In an emergency, always call 999.

Contact Trading Standards via the Citizens Advice consumer helpline, open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm on 03454 04 05 06, or online at www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer

Message Sent By

Julie Anderson (Police, Community Support Officer, Corby & Kettering)

‘If anyone sees persons acting suspiciously in or around fields of sheep or for that matter any other livestock, please take the number of the vehicle and report it to Leicestershire Police on tel 101 quoting Northamptonshire Operation Stock.  Theft of sheep is very much underreported, but the callousness and hygiene dangers are highlighted above.’

Local Crime Update – 7 days ending 20.7.19.

NB:    Under the Data Protection Act, we are advised we should not usually identify, or provide information that can easily identify an individual. In such cases part information will be omitted e.g. an asterisk may be used in place of one letter of a suspect vehicle.

Oakham Beat.

Vehicle crime– outside Oakham Bowls Club, The Vale between 9pm 2.7 and 11am 4.7.19.  Means of entry unknown, theft of dash cam, no make or serial number, Nokia mobile on yellow lanyard, no imei number, both items of low value.  Tom Tom satnav, plus loose change.

North Beat.

Empingham – Vehicle crime between 9pm 15.7 and 5am 16.7.19 (Mon/Tues), from lorry parked in layby on Great North Road.  Whilst driver asleep, side ‘curtains’ cut and quantity of coffee pouches stolen. Details not known.

Little Casterton – Burglary non-dwelling, Main Street, from unlocked shed between 7pm 16.7 and 9am 17.7.19 (Tues/Wed).  Tractor moved, but damaged and left at scene.  Fences damaged allowing horses to get out.

If anyone has CCTV please check, probably vehicle with trailer.  Any information that can assist enquiry please tel 101 quoting crime reference 19*373029.

South Beat.

Caldecott – Theft from field rear Mill Lane between 11pm, 16.7. and 7am 17.7.19 (Tues/Wed).  Stolen 2 ride on lawn mowers: (1) John Deer X540 54”, serial number known FD731*******, EV £3500 see picture of model below colours not yet known.  (2) Murray Rider RM50 30”, serial number known 78005************.  Mobile drinks bar entered by breaking rear door.  Stolen quantity of drink, mobile generator with leads (no details), tool box with assorted hand tools, and 3 hanging baskets.

John Deer X540 54 “ wheels   Model shown below, colours may differ.

Images.

https://youtu.be/pBnTzuahuOo

 

Murray Rider RM50 30” sit on mower.  These may not be actual colours.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Uppingham Beat.

None suitable for circulation.

 

Russ Horne.

Notes of AGM to RNHW

 

A.G.M.  2019

Agenda

1.  Apologies
2.  Minutes of 2018 AGM
3.  Financial Report & Proposed Budget (DW)
4.  Election of Board Members
5.  Revised Legal Status
6.  Election of CIO Trustees
7.  A.O.B.

Revised Legal Status

•  Proposal:
•  To change RNHWA’s legal status from  Company to CIO
•  To remove RNHWA from the Company Register
•  To close the RNHWA company bank account and open a new CIO bank account
•  To appoint Trustees to the new CIO

Notes of the Annual General Meeting of the Rutland Neighbourhood Watch Association. Held in the Rutland County Council, Council Chamber, Catmose Street, Oakham, LE15 6HW. 

7pm-9.5pm, 13th June, 2018. 

Present: Adrian Gombault (AG) Chair, Ruthven Horne (RH), Sian Dawson (SD) John Kennedy (JK) (Board members) plus: David Hodson, Michael Arnold, Richard Foster, Mrs Sturley, Mark Carnell, Sheila Halliday-Pegg, Roy Hosmer, David Webb, Rosemary Gooding, Bruce Gilliver, and Peter Martin. 

Apologies received from: William Cross, Peter Ritchie, Adele Stainsby, Ian Dobson, and Andrew Wallace. 

The AGM commenced at 7pm with an off-agenda item, a short presentation by David Harvey, a police volunteer, about the serious outbreak of theft of lead from church roofs in the county. 

Advice was given on the scale of the problem, the threat and the options available on how best to protect local churches, followed by questions. 

If thieves were encountered in the process of crime a call by 999 was urged and quoting the term ‘Operation Battlement’ which would trigger a coordinated Police response. 

Mark Carnell informed the speaker he had been keeping a look out on the Empingham Church for just such a development. Thieves were seen, and he dialled 999. Police did not attend, and they made good their escape. 

David said this was disappointing to say the least he would take the matter up. 

(NB. Post meeting enquiries reveal, there was one Police response vehicle available, whilst responding to the Empingham call it was diverted to a ‘knife incident’ in Oakham, which, since it was potentially a life-threatening incident took precedence.) 

Returning to the Agenda, there then followed a series of short presentations on: 

1. Communications covering the smartphone app and the website. 

After an outline of the latest developments, there was an appeal for volunteers to help the Administrator Jan Warren. Despite it being an excellent communications facility, without further support there is a real danger it will collapse. All present were asked to try to identify anyone who might be willing to help. 

A discussion then took place around a promotional plan to extend the number of ‘users’. Coordinators were felt to be the best means of securing new subscribers and were offered the latest leaflets of the smartphone app to distribute at local fetes over the summer, since one-to-one demonstration was usually found to be highly effective. In addition, they were asked to publicise the app on village websites and through the newsletters and social media: templates containing suitable copy would be supplied in the near future. 

2. Data Protection. 

In view of the recent changes to the Data Protection legislation a short presentation was made, giving a summary of the law and the implications for Neighbourhood Watch. 2 

The Regulations were largely targeted at sales and marketing organisations. Coordinators were reassured, if the purpose of the data held by them was purely to keep members updated on RNHWA matters, historical data was acceptable without amendment. 

One area that did affect us was the accuracy of our database records. We suspect these are not up to date and attempts to clarify this by e-mail were not successful. It is quite likely we will have to allocate each board member with a number of ‘entries’ to ring all those we are unsure about during the coming year. 

A form for the completion of ‘new members’ would be circulated to address those joining after the legislation to cover the necessary information and signed authority from the member. 

3. Organisation and Structure. 

A series of options were currently being considered for changes within the organisation. Two presentations were given on the changes that were being considered and piloted by the board to try to cope to with the change options for areas large and small. 

The first was the Ketton Project which aimed at encompassing all 2000 population. 

Whilst the second was looking at (a) ‘Clusters’, a support mechanism for Coordinators, and (b) ‘Cocoons’, a mini NHW where 4-5 neighbours cooperated in keeping a look out for each other. 

4. Any Other Business.

a. There was a display of security items for sale by the Police. Should Co-ordinators wish to purchase or ‘borrow’ these items to be displayed at fetes etc they could be obtained from Will Ryan at the Customer Services counter in the County Hall. 

b. Smartphone app leaflets were available for Coordinators to take away and distribute to members. 

c. Coordinator Packs, which were issued to Coordinators two years ago at this meeting, were issued to three new coordinators. Any coordinator who does not have one should request one from the Board. It was agreed that new or replacement pages could be circulated in future by e-mail, for Coordinators to copy and insert into their packs. 

The AGM commenced at 8.45pm. 

Present: Adrian Gombault (AG) Chair, Ruthven Horne (RH), Sian Dawson (SD) John Kennedy (JK) (Board members) plus: 11 members. 

Apologies received from: William Cross, Peter Ritchie, Adele Stainsby, Ian Dobson, and Andrew Wallace. 

Minutes of the previous AGM on 14th June 2017, 

After being read out, their accuracy was proposed by Dave Hodson and seconded by Roy Hosmer. 

Directors Reports. 

The Directors Yearly Report was circulated to all and RH highlighted one or two key points. A copy will be placed on the RNHWA website. 

The Financial Report was summarised by SD with a copy available on the website. Current assets are approximately £1000. 

Re-election of the Board. 

AG explained that the four directors present, AG, RH, SD (Treasurer), and JK were prepared to stand again; Alastair McCrindle was standing down. We do not have a Chairman, and it was hoped the jobs of that position would be shared out amongst the Board. Whilst jobs were shared out, e.g. he chaired many meetings, RH the last Chairman still received many of the day to day jobs etc. However, he would be retiring from the board at the end of this next year, so new nominations were requested. 

No new nominations for the board were received, and it was asked all four directors be returned unopposed, and this was unanimously agreed. Coordinators were asked, as an alternative to consider whether any of their members might be willing and suitable for cooption to the Board: in which case their names should be forwarded to the Board at the earliest opportunity. 

Funding: appeal for local support. 

The yearly expense of the smartphone app was highlighted, plus the difficulty of meeting routine organisational costs. AG said that his Parish made a small cash donation to the local NHW groups, and others claimed to receive similar funding. He asked the meeting if they felt it appropriate to write to each Town and Parish Council asking if they might make a small pro rata donation to NHW. It was proposed by Richard Foster (Stretton Parish and Rutland County Council cabinet member) and seconded by David Hodson (Greetham Parish Councillor). 

Revised Mission Statement. 

AG very briefly explained the impact lower Board numbers had upon the Mission Statement. It was clear many items could no longer be delivered and so it was felt necessary to amend it to be more realistic. This was still being worked upon and would be circulated for comment before changes were confirmed. 

Revised Articles and Memorandum of Association. 

We are a limited company and a registered charity. We are now a part of the Leicester, Leicestershire and Rutland Neighbourhood Grouping which also is a charity and has its own Constitution. It was felt necessary to ensure there was no conflict between the documents. 

After comparing the two, there is no conflict at all, with both documents clearly drawn from the same source. 

Any Other Business. 

AG wished to place on record the appreciation of all for the work of Alastair McCrindle, the retiring director. He had been a founding director of the RNHWA and been involved with Neighbourhood Watch locally, regionally and at National level for over 20 years; his contribution would be missed. 

There being no further business the meeting was closed at 9.10pm. 

Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO)

CIO:      Legal entity

  Available from 2013

  Designed for non-profit organisations in the UK

 

Benefits of CIO:    Able to Conduct Business

  Limited liability

  Trustees/members do not contribute to a financial loss

  Only needs to be registered with the Charity Commission

RNHWA was set up before CIOs came in to being

Therefore RNHWA set up as a Registered Charity and a Limited Company

(indemnity insurance was probably too costly)

 

By converting to a CIO, RWHNA, inter alia, will:

·Save bank charges (currently £75 per annum)

·Not need to prepare an annual report to Companies House and save the accompanying fee

·Impose less obligations on the trustees

Action required to convert the RNHWA into a CIO:

·Complete the transfer procedure under Charity Commission rules
·Close down the Limited Company by having it removed from the Companies Register
·Close the existing bank account and transfer the assets to a new charity bank account

RUTLAND NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH ASSOCIATION

Balance Sheet at 31 March 2019

Financial Assets

                            2017/18                                                                              2018/19

  1,045                      HSBC Bank Account                        428

 

0                             Creditors                                          0

                                      0                             Debtors                                            0

1,045                              Total Financial Assets              428

  Decrease from 2018/19            617    

Income and Expenditure for the Year ended 31 March 2019

                            2017/18                                                                              2018/19

                        Income  

     500        Charitable Donations – RCC                       400

     500        Total Income                                                 400

Expenditure

              43         AGM Meeting Expenses                                 43

               0          Administrative Expenses                                 0

               0          Travelling Expenses                                      224

              65         Bank Charges                                                   68

            350         Rutland Mobile App                                       214

                0         Rutland Mobile App SO                                 468

            458     Total Expenditure                           1,017         

     42        Surplus for 2018

    Deficit for 2019                                                  617

Budget for 2019/20 – Four Scenarios

1) As per 2018/19

Opening balance                                                           428

Income   RCC donation                                     400

Expenditure  Rutland mobile app                               490

Bank charges                                                                  75

Expenses                                                                         15

Closing balance                                                           248

2)    As per 2018/19 but with Conversion to CIO

Opening balance                                                         428

Income   RCC donation                                400

Expenditure  Rutland mobile app                            490

Bank charges                                                                30

Expenses                                                                         0

Closing balance                                                          308

3)    As per 2018/19 but with Conversion to CIO and No RCC Grant

Opening balance                                                       428

Income  RCC donation                                                  0

Expenditure  Rutland mobile app                           490

Bank charges                                                               30

 Expenses                                                                       0

Closing balance                                                         -92

4)As per 2018/19 but with Conversion to CIO And Additional Income to Cover Existing App Costs and Further RNHWA Development

Opening balance                                                       428

Income   RCC donation                               400

Small sums from Parish Councils, say     250

Additional funding, say                                750

 

Expenditure  Rutland mobile app                           490

Bank charges                                                              30

Expenses                                                                      5

App development                                                     500

Website development/maintenance                     250

Technical support                                                    100

Promotional material                                                 75

Closing balance                                                        333

Points to Note

·Currently only one source of income – RCC grant
·Current level of RCC grant does not cover annual running costs
·Without RCC grant RNHWA will run out of money in 2019/20
·Expenses claim for £252 outstanding – not included in Budgets 1) to 4)
·Additional income is urgently required to cover both current running costs and for the development of RNHWA

Report to AGM of RNHW July 2019


RUTLAND NEIGHBOURHOOD WATCH ASSOCIATION

JULY 2019

AGENDA

1.Chairman’s Introduction
2.Directors’ Report

    2.1. Situation report & Future Strategy (RH)

    2.2. New Legal Status (DW)

3.Members’ Comments & Discussion
4.A.O.B.
5.AGM

Volunteer Appeal

•  1 Data Management: responsibility for the management of the App, the Rutland NHW Association website and our        database of members, including development work, where required;

•  2.  Police Liaison:  liaison with the Police and input of crime-related information onto the App and website;

•  3.  Membership Liaison:  liaison with members and clusters, together with recruitment of new watches, leading to wider coverage of the county;

•  4.  Administration:  organisation of meetings, correspondence, minutes, etc.

Change of Direction

Why is it necessary

•  3 years gradual decline in volunteers, board members, and cash.

•  Insufficient Director/Trustees (2).

•  Board now holds few attractions.

Vision – Way Forward.

1.  Priority – preserve Communication role: App, Website and Web App.
2.  ‘Bottom up’ rather than ‘top down’ working.
3.  ‘Watches’ to have more say in local development.

4.  Permit stand-alone services according to demand and volunteers

Proposals.

1.Wind up Company in favour of Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO).
2.Suggest 3 Trustees: AG, DW(Treasurer), and RH.
3.Sole brief – support work of App Team led by Russ.
4.Raise additional funding for App. Website, plus promo material.
5.Possibly pay volunteer to make full audit of members.
6.NFAwithout new volunteers,

Report to the Annual General Meeting of the Rutland Neighbourhood Watch Association on

8thJuly, 2019

By Ruthven Horne, Director.

Last year at the AGM, we focused on the key problem we faced, a lack of volunteers.  Unfortunately, recruiting over the last 12 months has been disappointing, showing there is little appetite to support the Association in its current format.  Currently, two people (volunteers) are being asked to do too much, with important functions such as Recruiting, Promotion and Fundraising performed on an ad hoc basis.  This cannot continue and now we must make changes.  We have prepared proposals we will outline.

The Police are seriously understaffed and despite their re-organisation and new priorities, it would be a mistake to think they can, or would be able to help us.

Crime in Rutland, compared to the rest of the Force (and nationally) is relatively low with few of the most serious crimes (1 robbery per year), but it continues to increase for the third year in a row with an average of only 1.8% of reported crimes going to court.

In addition, there continue to be repeated thefts and burglaries (non-dwelling) of significant value both in Rutland and the surrounding counties.  This is not a criticism of our four Beat Officers.  A lack of crime scene evidence, local investigators, uncertain response times for cars, and offences committed by determined and organised teams who work cross border, make these crimes awkward to analyse and resolve.

Since they show no sign of stopping by themselves, we will seek an interview with the Neighbourhood Inspector to see how they might be better addressed.

We will liaise with the Police to see if there is anything more useful, we can do to help, but with our current resources our role remains mainly to focus on our Communication network.  To keep those living and working in Rutland:

i. Up to date with the Crime situation;

ii. To distribute Crime Prevention advice;

iii. Promote the gathering of intelligence for the Police; and

iv. Urge all victims to report all crimes.

It is self-defeating to ‘save time’ by not reporting crimes because you do not think it will be ‘cleared up’ or because you cannot make an insurance claim.  Crime reports are used to give Police a better picture of offending and decide on posting police officers (to Rutland).

The Way Forward.

We are a Limited (not for profit) Company and a Registered Charity composed entirely of volunteers.  We do not have any regular income, have no funds in our account, and without fresh volunteers are unable to fulfil current aims and plans.

Vision.

The Vision for re-structuring is that the priority will be to preserve our core Communication role via the App and the Website.  Elsewhere we will work to install ‘bottom up’ rather than ‘top down’ working, giving Watches more say in local development.  We would expect certain stand-alone services to appear, but they will vary from area to area according to demand and volunteers.

Proposals.

The Proposals for decision at the AGM are:

  1. That the Company is wound up in favour of a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO), with three Trustees.  Suggested are, Adrian Gombault, David Wheeler (Treasurer), and Ruthven (Russ) Horne (App/Website).  This change offers significant cost savings and imposes protection and fewer obligations on the Trustees.
  2. The CIO’s sole brief will be to support the work of the App/Web Team led by Russ;

a.  to secure continued funding from Rutland County Council (hosting fee has been agreed for next 12 months), and other sources (e.g. Police and Crime Commissioner; Donations – operational facility now fitted to the App).

b.  We will also follow up on the suggestion at last year’s AGM (15.7.19) to approach the Parish Councils for small yearly sums and help with Communication with their Parishioners.

3. Additional funding will be sought for other technical costs, to support use of domain name, website maintenance costs, development work on the App, and website changes (to address the Board deficit), plus new promotional material.  If available, any remaining cash could be used to conduct a full audit of Neighbourhood Watch Members.

4. Further activity in the future could only be contemplated if new volunteers are found.

Should anyone be interested in helping with anything outlined above, particularly promotion of the app and helping to coordinate links with the Parishes, please contact either Ruthven Horne or Adrian Gombault.

Conclusion.

Despite the downbeat elements of this report, we have put forward what I consider a sound, achievable basis for change and future development.  I am optimistic about the future, but all must realise times have changed and we must adapt and aim for high quality.

Our audience, be they Neighbourhood Watch or simply residents and workers in Rutland, are better informed than at any earlier time.  They are used to high levels of ‘Service’ and convenience (be it Smartphone App, Web App, e-mail, Social Media or Newsletter), with the minimum of bureaucracy, where they decide what is to happen to them, their family, and their community.  High quality volunteers need to be recruited to meet all these criteria from our county pool of skilled retirees and 6thFormers.

With changing demographics in what is now described as the fourth digital age, the Police are becoming more transparent and welcoming of assistance from Volunteers, particularly those trained vetted of course.  With our Smartphone App we are ahead of all NHW’s in the country, and we must challenge complacency to ensure we remain there, coordinating, developing, and promoting our Communications and ensuring we help the Police and Councils keep Rutland to the fore in its quality of life and low crime rate.  Change is inevitable and Volunteering will increase rather than diminish in importance.

After 5½ years as Chairman and Acting Chairman of RNHWA I will be retiring as a Director at the end of this meeting.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my time on the board and would like to thank all those colleague’s past, present and local police who have helped me.  I will continue to work in a different role as a Police Community Volunteer linked to the running of the App/Website. I will remain a village Coordinator and, if approved, a Trustee with this group.

Our Year 2018/19.

  • Ruthven Horne gives notice he will resign from the Board at the next AGM (8.7.19).  He will continue working with the App.
  • Adrian and Russ commenced work on ‘Change Options’ for the future structure of Neighbourhood Watch (NHW) in Rutland.
  • Weekly visits to Oakham Police Office by vetted Community Volunteers to check crime reports for the Smartphone App and Home Security.
  • Berni Simcock, an IT enthusiast, appointed as volunteer to assist Jan Warren and Russ Horne to administer Smartphone App and Website.
  • Donation feature on App now working, thanks to Berni.
  • The Safer Rutland Partnership agreed to pay £400 towards next year’s Smartphone App hosting fee.
  • After a lack of public support, the trial NHW Project across the Parish of Ketton was cancelled.
  • John Kennedy resigns from the board on 31.3.19.
  • During the year a series of ‘Cluster’ meetings were held to support Coordinators.  Whilst the response was patchy, we will continue as we feel this has great potential.
  • David Wheeler appointed Treasurer (volunteer).
  • ‘Users’ of the App have grown to almost 3000 with little sustained Promotion this year.  (Please promote this any way you can it is much easier than starting new NHW Schemes.)
  • One area we are keen to continue is that of ‘Cluster Meetings’.  They have been partially successful, but we could not devote the time they deserved to demonstrate their merits.  Adrian was successful in the North, but we were less so elsewhere.
  • At the invitation of Police, NHW assisted at the Police Stall at the Annual Rutland Show (2.6.19).
  • On 15.7.19 Adrian and I will make a presentation to the Parish Council Forum to try to develop better ‘working relationships’ with the Parish Councils.

NB: On 29.6.19 the AGM of the Executive Committee of the Force wide NHW decided that after 3½ years, due to a lack of both progress and volunteers for the Committee they would change their role to one of ‘light touch’ oversight, liaison, and co-ordination. A form of words to address this change will be drawn up n the next 3 months.

Ruthven Horne

Volunteer Director