What you can do to protect your life and your environment
Oakham Police are situated at present at Catmose.
- From them, you can get UV pens to mark your property
- Brilliant alarm padlocks for about £8
- Smart Water for £15 (FORENSIC DNA PROPERTY MARKING)
- Ensure you have at least one timer – maybe even two. One for a lamp and one for a radio tuned to a talk programme.
- Take advantage of their Cremark marking – ensuring everything is marked including things kept in your garage and shed – mowers, bicycles etc., in fact, anything you would like back following a burglary – the Police at Catmose will be happy to mark bicycles etc.
Other things you can do for your security
- Avoid leaving your curtains half-closed or fully closed during daytime hours particularly when you go away
- Get a neighbour to park their car on your driveway while you are away
- If any door to door sellers come to your property, say no thanks and call 101 to let the police know they are in the village. Door to door sellers are known to be checking who’s in and who’s out, who has a dog, who has an alarm, who appears to be living on their own. They are connected to criminals and the purpose of their visit is to identify the easiest targets to burgle later.
- Stand outside your property. Imagine you have lost your keys and think about how you would gain entry. You may have high fences and a locked gate but are your bins outside – would you, for instance, use the bins as a way of getting over the fence? What about once at the back of your property. Can you be seen? Most illegal entry is obtained via the back of a property and that little quarter light window you think no one could get through, well they can!
- What about your front door? Do you have a security chain? Do you use it? Do you have a five-lever mortice lock? Do you use it?
- If a utility person calls at your door requesting entrance to check a meter, water pressure, etc., would you just let them in? How often do you ask for proof of who they are? How would you know if it were legitimate? If you are unsure simply advise you are calling to verify who they are and close the door while you do it? Always ensure your rear doors and windows are closed. Most distraction burglaries take place with an accomplice entering the back while the householder is engaged in conversation at the front!
Pedlars. Most people claiming to be pedlars an